Saturday, September 27, 2008

1 and a half weeks

So.  One week and 3 days at work so far.  What an experience.  It is so different from Montreal.  I spent 5 days in orientation which in itself is amazing.  I met all the departments, learned the brand standards.  Which I already knew as I have been working for the brand for three years, the only difference is I read it on my own as the brand never offered French so the Hotel couldn't teach it to the employees.  I spent all day Monday and Tuesday reviewing safety standards.  It took me everything not to laugh out loud watching the videos a la 1983 with people slipping and falling all over the place.  It was me on that video without the hair sprayed hair and giant shoulder pads.  Seriously people, who ever took a health and safety course at work???   My modo is suck it up.  I have fallen, slipped, twisted, sprained, bruised, bled and I can really go on for my  three years at the Hotel.  I pulled a muscle near my heart 2 years ago and I could barely breathe and talk and let me tell you my modo SUCK IT UP really helped me get through the pain.  

Now I walk around the office and someone leaves a filling cabinet open and all i can think is "Christ someone can really trip on this" a chair was in the middle of the room and again I caught myself thinking "geez I hope no one get hurts.."  It poisoned me and it has to stop.  I like the danger.  I fell up the stairs this week and burned myself with coffee, so I leave my purse and things to make sure no one walks in it, clean up the mess and the lovely ladies from Human Resources walk by and ask what happened?  I fell but I was just cleaning up, so sorry for the mess.  Then they ask, did you tell your boss?  I reply with well no, I just fell and the mess is clean and well frankly I am behind because of my stupidities that I am a little annoyed with myself and I will be more careful.  Well they insist I tell my boss as I may feel the pain in the upcoming days???  I was like, listen ladies, I fell up some stairs and dropped coffee on myself, I am just happy I didn't dirty myself.  I have a crap load of work to do, the boss is right in the middle of the marketing plan, can we just pretend you didn't see anything??  In Montreal we like to make things go away....if you know what I mean....Long story shorter, the boss comes by the GM and staff, there are forms on my desk....it brought me back to the time in Montreal sometime in March when I opened too many drawers and the filling cabinet fell on me and I picked it up, put the stuff back in and moved on with my life (might I add no one in the office helped as they were laughing way too hard) that is the way I like it.  No blood and tears you can laugh.  Now here I am in Toronto with health and safety forms?????!!!!  I am going nuts here and they would just be horrified there!  

All in all it was a great week, so many stupidities with the TTC which I will cover in the blog shortly, it is too fresh and I am still to angry to talk about it.

2 comments:

Tieja said...

Nancy. I COMPLETELY understand what you mean about the too much safety info. On Monday, I am going to have some tool come by to assess the ergonomics of my workstation. Not only that, but when I started work, HR recommended several times that I disclose any prior physical ailments to them. Of course I did not. I'm going to quietly suffer through the back pain until I can take workers' comp for all they're worth. [insert evil laughter here]
Needless to say, I'm missing Montreal and the "laissez-faire/I don't give a damn about your problems" attitude that was exhibited all around. *sigh*
Be well. Stay strong. Vive le Quebec!

-Tieja

PS (I have also had a filing cabinet topple over onto me because I opened too many drawers.)
PPS (That would never happen in BC. They bolt their filing cabinets to the floor. Damn safety consciousness)

BadYogi said...

I once put a knife through my thumb while on the job in Toronto. Spent six hours bleeding in the emergency room. The amount of fucking paperwork that came from that, next time I'm going to put my thumb in my mouth and just bleed directly back into myself and hope not to lose too much blood and go about my day....